How Apple makes more profit on their systems...

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Oct 5 08:57:53 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Kenny Lussier <klussier at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 10:03 PM, Hewitt_Tech <hewitt_tech at comcast.net>wrote:
>

>>   What bugged me about the way Apple sells the Mini is their deliberate
>> withholding of information from the customer so that the customer would
>> feel obligated to buy much more expensive gear from them. Check out
>> their web site and see if you can figure out what would be necessary to
>> get the Mini setup using an existing monitor, keyboard and mouse.
>>
>> -Alex
>>
>> P.S. There's "making money" and then there's "screwing the customer".
>

> I just spent about 30 seconds on their site, and found the Mac Mini tech
> specs. You need this:
> http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTA4NTYxMDQ. As for a mouse and keyboard, since it has 5 USB ports, you don't need
> anything.

I bought a mini in March to use as a media center.  I bought the Apple
remote which "just works".  I had USB keyboards.  I bought a bluetooth
keyboard and mouse - they just worked.  I bought a mini dvi to VGA adapter
that just worked with my display.

I have a standard TV with svideo input.  I got a mini displayport to
composite adapter.  *bzzt*.  The mini is digital only output.  I had to get
a vga to composite converter to get analog output to my TV.  That was about
$30 and not available from apple.

I've since gotten an HDTV and a cheap 3rd party mini displayport to hdmi
adapter.  It just works.

I could've built a low power PC as a media center, but the mini just works
for everything I want to do.  I didn't have to spend lots of time
researching compatible parts.  It's one of the lowest power desktops
availble.   And it looks pretty good next to the TV, Wii, etc.

Now, if I wanted a server or general use system that didn't run MacOSX, then
I'd choose something else.