How Apple makes more profit on their systems...

Shawn O'Shea shawn at eth0.net
Mon Oct 5 12:50:25 EDT 2009

> How about just "wrong information"? If you click on Tech Specs it tells
> you you need an adapter to connect to VGA. Scroll down the page and you
> see "Confiure to order" (which is definitely the Mac Mini) and
> "Accessories". In the "Accessories" list with a clickable link is "Apple
> Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter" and when you click on this link you get
> "tadah", the wrong adapter. So you ordered this system online and when
> you receive it you will wait a while longer when you discover that you
> can't hook it up to your VGA monitor.
>
> Ok, I did that. I got this product page:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9320G/A
"Apple Mini DVI to VGA Adapter"

What is wrong with that? I will also note that the current model Mac Mini
has *two* video out ports as noted on the tech specs page "Mini-DVI port"
and "Mini DisplayPort output". I can confirm this having purchased,
installed and physically handled one.

> This whole discussion is interesting because the participants are all
> highly skilled technical people. We see things through the eyes of
> engineers who well know that the devil is in the details. My friends who
> I accompanied to the Apple store are "civilians". There's no way they
> would have gotten this right and that was my original
> observation/complaint.
>
> I agree. Tje nuances of VGA vs DVI vs DisplayPort vs Mini-DVI vs
Mini-DisplayPort (and other such technorati-speak) are indeed outside the
purvue of the lay-computer person. I'm sorry you received subpar support
from an Apple Store employee, because that what it sounds like you got.

-Shawn