tweaking sockets / OS parameters for speed

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Oct 5 22:42:44 EDT 2009

On 10/02/2009 02:23 PM, bruce.labitt at autoliv.com wrote:
> NPtcp offers a switch to change the tcp buffer size for the experiment.
> Where is the value (and what is it called) that stores the tcp buffer
> size?  Is it in sysctl.conf?

Linux 2.6.17 and better do tcp buffer size auto-tuning.  I think the
default auto-tuner maxes out at 4MB.  Make sure the docs you reference
are new enough.  If you have an older kernel than that anywhere in your
stack, hand-tuning may be needed.

I think 600Mbps is considered quite admirable without jumbo frames.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle