How can I retrieve the mount count for an ext3 volume?

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Tue Oct 6 10:54:36 EDT 2009

> Someday soon, Linux will have btrfs.  I don't think it does/needs fsck.
> And ZFS doesn't fsck either.

I can't vouch for ZFS, but btrfs most certainly does have both on-line and
off-line fsck.  The neat trick is that a *LOT* of the work that fsck does
on traditional filesystems is already part-and-parcel of btrfs (e.g.,
you'll never need a lost+found directory, because backreferences are
already part of btrfs's integrated metadata).  Throw in the whole bundle
of other features -- self-aware RAID (no, it doesn't pass the Turing
test), per-file checksums, bell, whistle, and it's good stuff.  But disks
are physical media; doing filesystem integrity checks from time to time --
regardless of filesystem -- isn't a bad thing; even ZFS does it, though
not via outright fsck
(http://opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/faq/#whynofsck).

$.02,

-Ken