Parallel sockets or?

bruce.labitt at autoliv.com bruce.labitt at autoliv.com
Wed Oct 7 09:47:39 EDT 2009

The TCP connection to my FFT server is not performing anywhere near the
link speed.  (14%)  I've scoured the net (and this list, probably to your
annoyance) looking for ways to optimize the link speed.  Having tried most
of them, (including jumbo frames, interrupt coalescence, tuning socket
sizes to BDP, wmem_max, etc.) and only realizing at most a 10% increase of
speed over default setting has me frustrated.  However, it has given me a
great deal of respect for the great work that others have put into the OS
and TCP.

Reading some papers about increasing WAN performance between super
computers mentioned the use of parallel sockets to increase TCP network
throughput.  The parallel sockets with default TCP settings had higher
throughput than a single "highly tuned" socket.  There are quite a few
papers explaining how this can be.

Apparently this parallel socket technology is using in several products,
like filezilla, and there is a plugin for Firefox to increase download
speed.

Supposedly there is a psocket library.  psockets are supposed to "look"
like BSD sockets.  So the programming did not look too bad.  I went to
sourceforge and found a project that had been set up and apparently
abandoned.  Nothing to download, at least not directly.

The originators of psock were at cesnet.cz, there is a link to the library
at http://www.cesnet.cz/project/qosip

The make doesn't finish.  Several compile errors.  I played about a bit,
but did not make much headway...

I've sent an email to Dr. Sven Ubik at cesnet.cz but have not heard from
him...  Anyone find a good download site for psockets?

I did find UDT, which looks interesting.  For the main transport it uses
UDP, with overhead to make it "reliable".  Supposedly it is very fast.  I
did try the test code, at least the project compiled, and I managed to
send data at 650Mbps, across my local network, if I believe its
diagnostics.  Unfortunately for me, it is written all in C++, which makes
it hard for me to understand how to use it.  If at all possible, I'd like
to use simpler, C libraries and TCP.

Suggestions, comments, where do I go from here???

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce Labitt
Autoliv Electronics