Parallel sockets or?

Shawn O'Shea shawn at eth0.net
Thu Oct 8 13:27:57 EDT 2009

> The originators of psock were at cesnet.cz, there is a link to the library
> at http://www.cesnet.cz/project/qosip
>
> The make doesn't finish.  Several compile errors.  I played about a bit,
> but did not make much headway...
>
> I was curious and downloaded this. I'm working on CentOS 5.3 (32-bit).

After untarring and doing a ./configure, when I try to make, very early in
the compile I got the following error (which I presume was similar with your
attempts):
 gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -g -O2 -MT pollall_cdrv.lo -MD -MP -MF
.deps/pollall_cdrv.Tpo -c ptransfer/pollall_cdrv.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o
.libs/pollall_cdrv.o
ptransfer/pollall_cdrv.c: In function 'ptransfer_pollall_send_block':
ptransfer/pollall_cdrv.c:119: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
make[2]: *** [pollall_cdrv.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/storage/home/shawn/psock-0.2a/psock'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/storage/home/shawn/psock-0.2a'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I googled: error: invalid lvalue in assignment
The first google result is this discussion thread:
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1353180&page=12

It is noted by the original poster later in the thread "[...] we haven't had
issues with it compiling and working until we moved to gcc 4"
He later notes " I have found referrences where the
developers<http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1353180&page=12#>of
gcc dropped support for 'casting an l-value', they called it a
'bogosity'."

So it would appear this code is not "gcc4 friendly", so it either needs to
be fixed (suggestions on how to do this are presented in the thread), or use
a gcc3.x compiler. RH/CentOS provide such in the compat-gcc-34 (and C++ in
compat-gcc-34-c++) packages.

Using that compiler, I can build without issue (ie: the following completes
without error: CC=gcc34 ./configure && make)

-Shawn