How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Fri Oct 9 22:42:50 EDT 2009

> Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> writes:
>> I've very often also found that while framing up a question in a
>> "smart" fashion, I'll realize what I haven't done but should

The ironic corollary to this that bites me about once a year is that I'm
busy banging my head against a problem.  I finally give up, and compose an
e-mail for help.  Without fail, it's as I click the [Send] button that I
realize the act of composing the e-mail has enabled me to see the folly of
my ways... but the e-mail establishing my credentials as a nincompoop is
already on its way.

D'oh.

, or
>> that I don't understand the situation as well as I should.  In the
>> process of then filling in those gaps, I find the problem and get things
>> working that much faster.
>
> Clearly Ben and I like that document for a lot of the same reasons.
>

> This point that Ben touches on here...this is one of my favorite
> points.  I mean, for example, I just spent...many hours this week
> struggling with a particular problem.  Quite honestly, I was trying to
> work with something that I'd never worked with before, and I spent many
> hours this week trying to figure out which way was up.  There were many
> sub-problems that I had to solve in order to solve the overall problem,
> and for each sub-problem I struggled to come up with the "smart" question
> that needed to be asked (and answered) in order to proceed.  Most of the
> time I didn't really have anybody to actually pose my questions to, but
> still, the excercise was *very* helpful. After a very long week, I seem to
> have solved my problem at roughly 6:15pm this evening.
>

> Next week will probably be some other problem...
>

> Kind regards,
>

> --kevin
> --
> GnuPG ID: B280F24E                God, I loved that Pontiac.
> alumni.unh.edu!kdc                -- Tom Waits
> http://kdc-blog.blogspot.com/
>

> --
> dangerous content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.