How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Lori Nagel jastiv at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 10 00:20:00 EDT 2009

I think it is very hard on newbies and
drives people away from using free software. I remember as a newbie,
reading things for hours, trying to look something up, not finding
the information, not even knowing what to ask or how to ask it. I
would read things, not understand them, and then ask questions. I
remember going to some irc channels on freenode where I would get
RTFM. The problem was I didn't really know enough about the subject
matter to ask smart questions. It took me half a year just to figure
out how to add the math library into the compiler so I could compile
some basic C programs from one of the C programing books I have. I
finally managed to learn it by finding a pdf copy of the Intro to GCC
book.
So basically, it is a document that
expects people to have more knowledge than they may actually have. I
don't think it is necessarily bad to try to
ask smarter questions. I think the problem is when it becomes an
exercise in newbie bashing where the so called fine manual is
nowhere to be found.