FWIW: The bigger picture... Or why I have been asking a lot of questions lately...

Lloyd Kvam python at venix.com
Sat Oct 10 18:08:47 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 15:20 -0400, Bruce Labitt wrote:
> Nit in solution:  TCP transport time >> FFT execution time, rendering
> attempted solution non-viable
>
> Researches TCP optimization: Reads countless papers on tcp
> optimization techniques... Fails to find a robust solutions or
> methodology for problem.  Tries most techniques written in papers,
> only realizing a 10% gain.  Not good enough.  Still needs to be faster
>
> Driven to more exotic techniques to reduce transport time.  Explores
> parallel sockets, other techniques

Does a simple netcat transfer go fast enough?  In other words, can
normal TCP in a simple case do the job?

If not, would you be better off "talking" ethernet?  Presumably you do
not need the routing capabilities of TCP.  As I understand it, your
client and server are on the same LAN.

http://aschauf.landshut.org/fh/linux/udp_vs_raw/index.html

I don't know if this is helpful.  Without knowing the timings from basic
test cases, it's hard to know where to find the best point of attack.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp