FWIW: The bigger picture... Or why I have been asking a lot of questions lately...

Jim Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Sun Oct 11 07:23:07 EDT 2009

Greetings Bruce,

    Interesting and challenging project!

On Saturday 10 October 2009 15:20, Bruce Labitt wrote:
> For anyone that is remotely interested, here is the big picture for
> the problem I'm trying to solve.  If you are not interested, hey
> delete the post.  Won't irritate me in the least!

    If you just transferred the data (no framing or error checking), how
many bits per second must you transfer to keep up with the FFT data
production?

    Did you explore adding a dedicated FFT card to your control
computer?   The algorithms they build into the hardware are much, much
faster than compiled software.  The local board would keep the data in
your control computer - with DMA, I assume - eliminating the transfer
problem.

    I know a fellow who now works for Apple whose job is to optimize FFT
algorithms to the processor they use.  Assembly language, of course.
Why is Apple interested?  Faster FFT, faster MP3 translation, longer
battery life.  A very high payoff.

Jim Kuzdrall