Suggestions - embedded Linux

Drew Van Zandt drew.vanzandt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 10:36:29 EDT 2009

So, I've convinced my company to at least entertain the idea of using
embedded Linux on one of our upcoming projects, but I'm in need of some
research.  I'm doing my own, of course, but I thought some of you might have
suggestions.

We would spin our own PCB with CPU etc., and I'm trying to figure out what
platform would be most economical - our needs are not great, embedded Linux
is overkill, but it has many good features.  So far I'm considering these
options to present:

HARDWARE:
* Marvell SheevaPlug schematic with some tweaks.  1.2 GHz, 512MB flash, 512
MB RAM, gig Ethernet, USB.  Less RAM/Flash if I think it will suffice.
* ColdFire v2, v3, v4.  128MB flash, 128MB RAM (less if I can be convinced
it will suffice.)
* NET+ARM based, 128MB flash, 128MB RAM (less if I can be convinced it will
suffice.)

Any comments on a good hardware basis that I'm missing?

DISTRIBUTION:
Timesys LinuxLink
Red Hat Embedded Linux

--DTVZ