Open Source Photography

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Tue Oct 13 12:18:45 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Kevin D. Clark
<kevin_d_clark at comcast.net>wrote:

> Ted Roche writes:
>
> > For folks just tuning in, the Canon Hack Development Kit is an add-on to
> > the firmware for the Canon Powershot series of cameras that offers lots
> > of extensions to the functionality. Sadly, my Powershot passed away a
> > while ago, or I'd have fun testing this stuff.
>
> I have seen some rather nice pictures from people who use CHDK.  For
> example, there are some nice scripts (etc.) available now that let a
> photographer easily capture images of lightning bolts.
>
> I'd love to try out CHDK myself, but the cheapie Canon camera that I
> own doesn't work with it and I haven't had the time to contribute.
> I have a friend who uses CHDK with great results.

I have an A720n that I use CHDK with.  One *very* cool thing is how easy it
is to back out.  I remove the SD card, turn the write protection off, put it
back in and turn the camera back on.  Now it's back to stock.  Turn off,
slide the thing on the card, & I'm using CHDK.  And all it is are a few
files and a directory on the SD card.

Mainly, I'm using the indicators for battery life and histrograms.  I
haven't looked into recording longer mpegs, photo profiles, BASIC
programming, motion sensing, etc :-)  Lots of stuff if you want to use it,
but simple enough if you don't care.