What is the result of connecting a single link (DVI-D) video source to a dual link monitor?

Shawn O'Shea shawn at eth0.net
Wed Oct 14 19:00:54 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Alex Hewitt <hewitt_tech at comcast.net>wrote:

> I'm trying to connect a new Mac Mini to a Barco monitor. The Barco
> monitor expects a dual link video source (2048 x 1536 /1536 x 2048) but
> the Mini is outputing single link DVI-D.  The Mac  sees the monitor as
> having a resolution of 1280x1024. Apple makes a dual link DVI adapter
> but I don't know if this will allow the Barco to work properly. Anyone
> have any experience with this kind of setup?

Single-link DVI has less pins/wires and maxes out at 1920x1200 resolution.
For higher resolutions, you need the extra wires and can go to 2560x1600.
You need to also make sure that the DVI cable you are using is dual link as
well.
Pictures of connector types:
http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_Digital_Visual_Interface_DVI_Bus.html
Discussion of single vs dual with resolution information:
"WHAT ARE SINGLE AND DUAL LINKS ?" section of
http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

-Shawn