VPN over SSL /w UDP?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Oct 15 01:52:41 EDT 2009

On 10/09/2009 02:11 PM, Gerry Hull wrote:
> If I want to run OpenVPN, I have to pay them an extra $10/month.

There's a fair chance your ISP is talking about you running an OpenVPN
server on your VPS so you can, e.g. connect to it from work, get around
the pesky corporate firewall and get Internet transit.  In that case, in
the VPS setup they may need to make bridging adjustments and they're
going to charge you for that.

If you're just accepting UDP traffic and terminating traffic bound for
inside the VPS, there's a chance they don't care at all.  You can make
this explicit with iptables.

Also, check if the DD-WRT VOIP builds (with sipproxy) would help you out
on the home side.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle