What is the result of connecting a single link (DVI-D) video source to a dual link monitor?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 15 09:24:41 EDT 2009

On Oct 15, 2009, at 9:08 AM, Alex Hewitt wrote:

> Jarod Wilson wrote:

>>> Thanks Shawn. Good pointers. There is something a bit odd about this
>>> though. The Totoku monitor is running at it's native resolution
>>> (2048x1536). The Mac gives me the full resolution as a choice in the
>>> display preferences. I'll look closely at the connector (miniPort to
>>> DVI-D) and see if it's actually dual link. The DVI-I dual link is
>>> definitely not working.
>>>

>>  From http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html
>>
>> # Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports up to
>> 1920 by 1200 pixels on a DVI or VGA display; up to 2560 by 1600
>> pixels
>> on a dual-link DVI display using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI
>> Adapter (sold separately)
>>

> Jarod, I think you missed what I was saying.

Probably. :)

> We have a monitor running at 2048x1536 resolution. That's higher
> than the 1900x1200 that the specs state.

I suspect Apple is playing it safe with the advertised specs. From
what I'm looking at, single-link DVI supports up to 2.75 megapixels at
60Hz. 1920x1200 is only 2 ((1920*1200)/(1024*1024)). Of course,
2048x1536 is 3 megapixels though... Is that 2048x1536 by chance at
only 50Hz? Lower refresh rate might be able to squeeze it out.

> P.S. I'm thinking of carrying the Barco monitor to the Salem Apple
> store and hopefully the Apple folks will let me try out the dual
> link adapter before I actually plunk down the $99 that it costs.

Yeah, don't see why they wouldn't.

> I also need to find out if the Mac Pro can drive this monitor (we
> have several of them that we want to use).

My brother's Mac Pro has no issues driving Apple's 30" monitor at
whatever its beefy resolution is...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com