are DVD disks very fragile??

Lloyd Kvam python at venix.com
Mon Oct 19 14:40:51 EDT 2009

I've lent out the most recent Ubuntu book with its 9.04 install DVD a
few times.  The last borrower grumbled about media errors.  I checked
and found nearly 100 files with errors out of the nearly 4000 files on
the DVD.

The DVD I had burned on a cheap Staples DVD+RW also had errors that
could not be fixed by rewriting the disk, after a handful of uses.  My
disk was in a plastic case.  The book (paperback) uses a cardboard
sleeve inside the back cover.

I don't mind recreating install media when necessary, but would welcome
any tips on care.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp