ldap info sought

Neil Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Fri Oct 23 10:50:05 EDT 2009

<<resending because I just learned I didn't reply to all before - oops>>

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Kevin D. Clark
<kevin_d_clark at comcast.net> wrote:
> So, my request is this:  what resources (books, websites, etc.) do
> people recommend to learn more about this subject?

I strongly suggest this book to understand the fundamentals of LDAP:
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Deploying-Directory-Architecture-Development/dp/1578700701

Ultimately, LDAP is a database, albeit very different from the more
commonly understood relational databases.  There's a much higher
learning curve to designing LDAP schemas, especially since the rules
defined in there are very different from the hierarchy which is
largely arbitrary organization.  For that reason, I think most people
using LDAP are using out-of-the-box technologies that are based on
LDAP, like Active Directory or contact/login databases, etc.

I also manage LDAP through phpLDAPAdmin, which is very helpful with
custom setups.  It's one of the better generic LDAP interfaces I've
ever used.
-Neil