Fairpoint files for Chapter 11

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 21:44:13 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Gerry Hull <gerry at telosity.com> wrote:
> Do you guys know that Fairpoint does not offer an SLA on
> Business DSL? Not in NH, Not ever. Can you imagine that?

  I'm honestly more surprised by the alternative.  I've rarely seen a
mass market high-speed Internet connection (DSL, cable, etc.) that had
an SLA that was worth a damn.

  Comcast's SLA basically says that *if* they confirm
"unavailability", they will rebate *prorated*.  So if the line falls
off the poll on Monday, the guy with the truck finally makes it on
Wednesday, and has it fixed on Thursday, I get maybe $2 or $4 off.

  If trip to Google is 150 ms RTT and 15% packet loss, I get nothing.

> My bet (and hope), is that if we have another nameplate change, it will be a
> healthy regional baby bell, who understands rural markets, and who is
> technically savvy and well managed.

  That was supposed to be FairPoint, or so the supporters of the sale
maintained.  ;-)

-- Ben