Help connecting to two networks (Adding a virtual interface)

Lloyd Kvam python at venix.com
Wed Sep 2 08:39:16 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 21:23 -0400, Greg Rundlett (freephile) wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Thomas Charron<twaffle at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Greg Rundlett
> > (freephile)<greg at freephile.com> wrote:
> >> I'm reading more on VLANs [1] and now have at least installed vconfig
> >> and enabled the 8021q kernel module [2] :-)
> >> This article [3] looks like what I'm after, so I'll have to study, and test
> >
> >  Based on your initial example, did I read that right?  You want to
> > request 2 different DHCP based addresses from the same physical
> > network?
> >
> > --
> > -- Thomas
> >

> I'm learning a lot here, since up to this point I've dealt with simple
> home networking.  Now I'm responsible at
> work for administration of an Asterisk server as well as all the other
> technology infrastructure / software / systems.  The asterisk box is
> on it's own VLAN so as to provide separation from the regular office
> computers and equipment.  I just want to be able to get on the
> Asterisk box from my notebook instead of using the keyboard + monitor
> in the closet (to edit scripts etc.).

Couldn't you just get your routing to work?  There is an external
address for the VOIP lan.  Configure the router to forward SSH (port 22)
to the asterisk box.  If port 22 was already assigned to a different
computer, grab a different port number, but forward it to the asterisk
port 22.

I normally configure ssh to not allow username/password access
PasswordAuthentication no
Put your public key in the user account's authorized_keys file.
Otherwise you probably want to limit SSH access to a limited list of
networks.