[OT] Generator testing

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Tue Sep 8 20:03:09 EDT 2009

This is only tangentially related to Linux, but I'd like to gather your
thoughts.

We have a client who installed a backup generator for their buildings
some months ago, which is all to the good.

The unusual thing, to me, about it is that they test it in the middle of
every week during normal work hours. First thing in the morning, the
power in all the buildings goes off for about 20-60 seconds when they
switch to the generator, and then does it again 5-10 minutes later when
they switch back. The servers, all but one running Linux (to bring this
slightly on-topic), are protected by UPSes, so they aren't directly
affected. The network switches, wireless access points, printers, and
computers scattered throughout the buildings, however, are not so
protected. Everyone is supposed to turn off their equipment Tuesday
night, but often individuals forget. They have noticed it takes the
network awhile to operate normally after this weekly event. Not
surprisingly with a flood of DHCP requests and SMB network convergence
happening when several hundred computers are turned on. Some of the
network switches and access points require a power cycle. We have seen a
slight increase in equipment failures, largely among the oldest devices.
We have proposed a plethora of UPSes to support the network devices,
however, that has not yet been approved, and may not be until next year.
We have also requested a less frequent test cycle and relocation to a
weekend, so far to no avail.

My question, is it normal to test a generator weekly, during operating
hours, and is it normal to shutdown all the power in the buildings to
test it? It seems wrong to me & to the maintenance director, however,
the company which installed the equipment says this is normal operation.
Someone involved with the project implied it is a legal requirement in
some manner. Does any of that jibe with others experiences?

Thanks enormously for any feedback.

--
Dan Jenkins, Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, 1-603-206-9951
*** IT Support for 30 years