/usr/bin/ld error

bruce.labitt at autoliv.com bruce.labitt at autoliv.com
Thu Sep 17 12:08:47 EDT 2009

The fun never ends...

My make file compiles everything, using the compiler of choice ( using
brute force, not using elegance ).  However, ld fails to find -lfftw3. The
error is:

/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/lib/libfftw3.so when
searching for -lfftw3
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/lib/libfftw3.a when
searching for -lfftw3
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/lib/libfftw3.so when
searching for -lfftw3
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/lib/libfftw3.a when
searching for -lfftw3
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfftw3
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [server] Error 1

Now, having lived through this once before, I made sure that
/etc/ld.so.conf.d contained a file called fftw.conf

$cat fftw.conf
/usr/local/lib

In the file /etc/ld.so.conf is:
include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf

ldconfig shows:

# ldconfig -v
ldconfig: Path `/usr/local/lib' given more than once
/usr/local/lib:
        stuff
        libfftw3.so.3 -> libfftw3.so.3.2.3

In the above make file the CCOPTS= -O3 -m64 -mcpu=970 -mtune=970
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -fopenmp -Wall -Wcast-qual

Previously, I have linked another project to FFTW using the same options
as above.  So far, the only difference is that with the previous project I
made my own script that compiled everything and linked it in one line... I
wanted to use a make file this time around, the compile times are longer
now...

Any suggestions?  I have not touched fftw since April.  Haven't updated
compilers either...

Bruce Labitt
Autoliv Electronics
1011B Pawtucket Blvd, PO Box 1858