Digital Voice Recorders and Linux

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Tue Sep 22 01:37:54 EDT 2009

Jim.McGinness at att.net wrote:
> If a price around $150 is in your range,

In that range, I've been happy with this one:
http://www.music123.com/Musicians-Gear-MUSICIANS-GEAR-HANDHELD-STEREO-DIGITAL--RECORDER-582222-i1432656.Music123
(In case the link breaks, try this one: http://bit.ly/1U1W7N )

It mounts as a USB drive with a standard cable.

Upsides: Superb sound quality, compatibility, wav or mp3, comes with
external mics, AAA batteries (included!), SD card slot.
Downsides: Filesystem is ...odd.  Battery life is just OK. Size.

I began recording with the internal microphones and from about 4 feet I
could *clearly* hear a VERY quiet whisper.  It came with 2 lapel mics,
headphones, USB cable, and AAA batteries.  It is much larger than the
audio recorders you normally see.  This thing is a low end Pro Audio
quality recorder meant for bands and it shows.  There are 128 MB of
internal storage and an SD card slot.  The machine saves as 44KHz MP3
files by default, but can be set to save as WAV in 8k-44k sampling
rates.  It boasts a 5 hour battery life in record mode and a 6 hour
playback life. It also comes with a line out and separate headphone jack.

I opened an MP3 file in Audacity and it worked first try with no
hassles, no software to install, no drivers needed, etc.

Brian