Why Linksys routers are so cheap...

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Sep 22 23:35:37 EDT 2009

On 09/22/2009 09:27 PM, Drew Van Zandt wrote:
> I would much appreciate a report on its VLAN support, actually.

So, just looking at the menus:

you get to chose 802.1q or 'port-based' VLAN's.  They seem to be
mutually exclusive.  I chose 802.1q.

You can number and name VLAN's.  The range is 1-4092, but I read only 64
simultaneous are available.

For each VLAN, each port can be one of the tristate: not participating,
untagged, tagged.

There's another tab called 'PVID (Port VLAN ID)'.  You can type in a
VLAN # here for each port.  I don't understand what this does that the
previous tagging doesn't.  The help pages are syntactical, not
conceptual in nature.

There's an Address Table tab, which looks like you can tag a MAC to a
VLAN, optionally AND port id.

802.1x seems to be able to be configured to work with VLAN's.  802.1p
seems to be limited to port-based.  VLAN support here would be nice.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle