Sansa, Rockbox, Free Software for antiques (was: Digital Voice Recorders and Linux)

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Wed Sep 23 18:50:27 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 02:59:21PM -0400, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:

> Luckily, the Sansa devices seem to be nigh indestructible--so if you
> get one onto which you can load Rockbox, you shouldn't need to worry
> much about how you'll never be able to replace it when it breaks :)

I've been using Rockbox on a Sansa e260 for quite a while; the
big select button has gotten a little flakey but still usable.

Recent Rockbox even knows how to drive the USB port so you can directly
use it access all of a large flash memory card from your computer,
instead of having to use a separate card reader like before (not a huge
deal but a nice one).

mm