cpu processing capabilities

Alex Hewitt hewitt_tech at comcast.net
Sun Sep 27 10:43:31 EDT 2009

Lloyd Kvam wrote:
> http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42014
> claims that the P7550 supports virtualization which I expect to show up
> as vmx in the cpuflags.
>
> I bought a new HP laptop which featured a P7550 processor and expected
> to be able to use KVM.  Unfortunately, the vmx flag is not present, and
> HP does not believe they disabled vmx capabilities.
>
> http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?s=c0762a76f7b00eada10c7b8f986d9822&p=5272854&postcount=6
> This post convinced me that the Intel page is wrong.
>
> Can anyone suggest a good course of action?  Have any of you encountered
> this problem?  I can grumble to Newegg amd HP, but Intel appears to be
> the party at fault.

I presume without kvm support the virtual machine runs like molasses
right? My Acer laptop circa 2006-2007 came with an AMD X2 TL-50 and it
has virtualization support. Pretty much all AMD processors have
virtualization support although they are generally slower than the
common dual core Intel processors. Both AMD and Intel's web sites make
it difficult to come up with intelligent choices. There are motherboard
compatibility problems as well. That's why many IT shops run away from
integration work. They'd much rather let the manufacturers do the heavy
lifting. To make matters more difficult the margins on modern systems
tend to be very thin so it's hard to justify too much time building
them. If the problem comes down to the Intel  CPU having virtualization
support but HP hasn't properly integrated it with their motherboard you
should be able to complain to HP.

-Alex