OT: Looking for degausser/magnetic tape eraser

VirginSnow at vfemail.net VirginSnow at vfemail.net
Mon Sep 28 14:57:17 EDT 2009

This isn't Linux-specific, but I figured I'd try asking here...

I'm looking for a degausser/magnetic tape eraser for erasing mini DV
tapes.  I've tried all the local stores (RadioShack, BestBuy, even a
TV/VCR repair shop), as well as Allied Electronics and Digikey, but
none of them seem to sell degaussers.  On ebay, I found some cheap
hand-held degaussers for degaussing CRTs (not powerful enough for mini
DV), and some multi-thousand dollar degaussers that can degauss
anything up to and including a neutron star.  The closest thing I
could find to what I need is a rare-earth magnet based "Erase-O-Matic"
Model 1 for a mere $400.00.

Any suggestions/recommended vendors would be greatly appreciated.

Also instructions for make-your-own-degauseers would also be welcome.

Thanks!