NFS stops responding

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Sat Apr 3 22:08:04 EDT 2010

> One thing I don't like about your setup is that you have 2 different
> machines serving NFS directories to each other.

Explain, please.  The motivation in our situation (at least historically)
is that although all our machines potentially need access to the
entire collection of files used by our product(s) some machines need
the improved performance obtained by accessing certain sets of files
locally rather than via NFS; the directory layouts and cross-sharing in
question reflect this.  We have many groups of machines configured this
way at many different customer sites with no such problems and I've not
previously heard that such cross-sharing is considered to be bad practice.

I will note that on Friday I did experimentally excuse the B machine
from all NFS server duty, so it's now only mounting files from A (as
the C machine still does) but not serving any.  Miraculously, the other
machines have had no further problems since then...  (?)