We need a better Internet in America

Greg Rundlett (freephile) greg at freephile.com
Tue Apr 6 23:45:45 EDT 2010

The "Net Neutrality" fight goes on, and today the fight became even more
urgent for Americans.

I hope this message is considered "on topic" because
a) the Internet was/is built on Linux
b) the Internet is the lingua franca of the 21st century where spoken
language is being matched by machine translation, and communication
transcends time and space [1].

Letter I sent via http://www.freepress.net/

The public and the president have expressed overwhelming support for Net
Neutrality. The FCC must act to keep the Internet open and free of corporate
gatekeepers.   In fact, neutrality isn't enough, we need aggressive
investment by the public to create a public infrastructure that can help
from losing ground.

Countries like South Korea are doing it right
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_broadband_plans_from_around_the_world#South_Korea

In the U.S. we pay more, but get less than other countries
http://www.billshrink.com/blog/5787/internet-penetration-costs/

You still have the power to protect the public interest. Please stand with
us and keep the Internet in the hands of the people whose own prosperity
depends on it every day.

Greg Rundlett

[1] What I mean is that if you consider the Internet to be a bunch of
protocols and "pipes" endowed with a limitless soft intelligence, then it's
easy to see how it's the infrastructure for communication, culture, economy,
politics, law, socialization, science, education, etc...  It's the new
mechanism for all the world's people to interact, transact, communicate and
share.