[OT] Postal services (was: better Internet)

Jefferson Kirkland numberwhun at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 13:57:25 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Ed lawson <elawson at grizzy.com> wrote:

> Say what you will, but the reality is the USPS does deliver many small
> packages very quickly for a very reasonable fee. If you were a
> dealer in rare coins worth six figures each your delivery system of
> choice is registered mail by the USPS.  The next choice down is an
> armored car service.  UPS and FedEX would not be used.
>
> --

"very quickly" is certainly a relative term and depends on the quality of
the folks working in your local postal delivery area.  The worst part about
them is that they are, as they have said to me, unionized.  Thus,
complaining about their service does absolutely no good.

Our mail persons in our area vary greatly.  Our original mailman, who has
THANKFULLY retired, was a non-caring coarse man who did not care when you
got your mail.  He generally delivered somewhere between 6pm to 8pm.  On his
days off we generally got our mail around 2pm.  Quite a difference.

I don't know about other areas, but the Nashua postal service tends to be
much slower than others, especially when getting mail.  I mail a letter to
NY and it gets their in ~1 to 2 days.  Same people in NY mail a letter to us
and it takes about 4-5 days.  (wait, what???).  Why does it take 2 or more
times the amount of time to get a letter to us than it does to send one out?

Ok, off my soap box.