Wiz: Where's the Source? (was: Hot New OSS projects)

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Thu Apr 8 12:43:41 EDT 2010

"Jon 'maddog' Hall" <maddog at li.org> writes:

> > Any idea what they mean by "OSS project"? :)
> >
> > Now, I'm serious: are they looking for software projects that *are*
> > Open Source *Software*, or hardware projects that *use* OSS, or what?
> > (Linux Journal, for example, specifically asked for hardware projects
> >  when they called for `Cool Projects' articles, last year).
>
> No problem...all good questions below...
>
> I would say, in general, they are looking for software projects that you
> might pull down from SourceForge and find useful on your netbook,
> laptop, desktop or server.
>
> The hardware that it runs on does not *have* to be completely open, but
> it would be nice if it was.

OK, so..., I'm going through my list of `OSS things'..., and I'm
inclined to list some of the new, hot, open-source game-platforms;
at the top of the list are the Pandora <http://www.openpandora.org/>
and the GP2X Wiz. And... there's a problem: while a bunch of sources
say that the Wiz is `open source'..., I can't seem to actually find
any *evidence* to substantiate those claims.

GamePark Holdings, the company that makes the thing, even says that
it's "Linux Based Open Source" <http://www.globalgph.com/m2/sub11.php>,
but... *where's the source*? There does seem to be a thriving FOSS
community associated with the Wiz, as far as game-development goes,
but I can't even find anyone claiming to have seen or heard about
the code for the OS--I can't even find mention of how one would
go about finding that code.

A couple of reviews say things like "The Wiz is Open Source, which means
that you can install whatever you want on it.". Goodness--talk about
`brand dilution'....

I don't suppose anyone here has any idea what the deal is...?

Behind what curtain do I have to look to see what's behind the Wiz?