We need a better Internet in America

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Apr 8 14:04:27 EDT 2010

On 04/07/2010 08:59 AM, Seth Cohn wrote:
> If we have companies,
> like Comcast, who abuse their providerships, we route around them,
> sooner or later.

The 'sooner' part is very hard because the government:
1) claims ownership of 'rights of way' alongside roads where telephone
poles are placed.
2) grants monopolies/dualopolies to owners/users of those poles
(Comcast/Fairpoint).  I don't completely dismiss the ideas of natural
monopolies, but without potential challenges, they're not proven.  Add
to that 10-year franchise agreements that guarantee against competition
and the outlook is dismal.
3) will not allow small business and/or residents access to those poles
(even though most pole contracts in NH allow the option specifically).
Disruptive models always start small and those are precluded.  It's like
they're trying to fight known economics on purpose.

A few have taken local initiative to own the network like the sewers,
but that's very thinly implemented.  Largely the business model seems to
not work in practice unless they only own the network and let
competitors provide services on it (e.g. Burlington Telecom vs. Ashland
Fiber).

So, imagine the case where somebody like Comcast is a competitive
Internet provider on a local network.  They start sending TCP resets for
bittorrent and your data stops flowing, but your neighbor's doesn't.
This is easy, the free market flows money to those who provide good
service and the rest whither (you cancel your account and switch
providers).  As long as there's demand for a service and there aren't
artificial barriers to entry for those who wish to provide it, people
will have good options.  Personally I think bittorrent ought to be
shaped against, e.g. SIP, when traffic is tight, but I should be able to
chose a provider who agrees with me (and those who want pure best-effort
can chose their provider).

I agree in general that government telling ISP's how to pass traffic is
a bad idea, but they need to get completely out of the way so the market
can function properly.

And, just for completeness, it's 2010, and all that's available on the
traditional government/monopoly market is 26.4k dial-up at my house, 1.2
miles from a big fiber drop in a CSA of a quarter-million people.  I was
getting my shoes muddy this morning planning an expensive fiber run
through the woods.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle