Internet history

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Fri Apr 9 09:29:53 EDT 2010

On 04/08/2010 02:25 PM, Chip Marshall wrote:
> On 07-Apr-2010, David Hardy <belovedbold357 at gmail.com> sent:
>
>> Yes, md, I remember, as do many or all of us, the same bunch of
>> names for the systems, usually either from the Snow White gang,
>> or Lord of the Rings, or Hitchhiker's Guide. Them were the
>> daze. Now our brilliant successors name them with strings of
>> alphanumeric characters the provenance of which only they, the
>> holy annointed ones, can fathom.
>>
> There was a long and largely unproductive thread on the NANOG
> list last month about network naming schemes. Cute naming schemes
> are fun, and can be workable in small networks, but tend not to
> scale well.

Back to the Easynet, DECNet had a 6 character naming scheme. Trying to
figure out where a system was could be interesting, especially printers.
I remember there was both a FRODO and a FRODDO. I know that FRODDO was a
printer in Marlboro. I alwas got confused by SMURF and SMAUG. One was in
Littleton (LKG) and the other was in ZK. Most of those systems became
node names when the hosts added a ip software.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix