Firefox 3.6.4 to have plug-in isolation?

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 14:23:47 EDT 2010

  A beta release of Firefox 3.6.4 was announced today (Tue 20 Apr).
What's interesting is they advertise that crashes in Flash, QuickTime,
or Silverlight plugins will not crash the browser.  I presume that to
be done by plug-in isolation, i.e., running the plug-in in a separate
process.  I thought that wasn't due to land until 3.7.  It's a fairly
significant change under the hood, so I wouldn't expect it in a point
release, nominally.  They also seem to go out of their way to mention
only those three plug-ins specifically.  Perhaps isolation is limited
to just those for now?  I.e., stagger deployment to reduce
testing/support burden.

http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2010/04/20/firefox-3-6-4-beta-available-for-download-and-testing/

  Detail on 3.6.4 seems pretty sketchy right now.  Pointers welcomed.
Best I've found so far:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Firefox-Codenamed-Lorentz-Drops-in-March-2010-130855.shtml

http://lifehacker.com/5513281/firefox-lorentz-beta-isolates-plug+in-crashes-for-uninterrupted-browsing

  I've been running a 3.7 nightly build at home for about a week now,
just to get plug-in isolation.  So far it seems to work well.  Had the
occasional quirks one usually expects in a development build.  :)

-- Ben