IPv6 deployment?

Chip Marshall chip at 2bithacker.net
Tue Apr 20 15:12:41 EDT 2010

On 20-Apr-2010, John Abreau <jabr at blu.org> sent:
> Has anyone else deployed IPv6 yet? Is there a decent HOWTO that
> shows how to deploy it for a network of CentOS servers?
>
> Eventually I'll want to deploy it at home and at work, where
> MacOS and Windows clients will presumably complicate the
> picture. I'm assuming it will be easier to get my first
> deployment working if I do it in a pure Linux environment. Is
> this a reasonable assumption?

I have v6 setup on a couple of my personal servers, along with a tunnel
from Hurricane Electric at home (was doing 6to4 previously.)

Windows XP and above and Mac OS X handle it just fine, at least when
using SLAAC. I haven't even looked at DHCPv6 yet, but I get the
impression that client support is lacking.

It's been my experience so far that most of the issues happen when some
clients are going over v4 to a server and some are going over v6 and the
server breaks on one protocol but not the other. But so far this has
been pretty rare, though that might just be due to a lack of dual-stack
servers in the wild.

Most of my experience is on FreeBSD though, so I don't think I'll
be of much help for Linux v6 support.

--
Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net>
http://weblog.2bithacker.net/          KB1QYW        PGP key ID 43C4819E