OpenStreetMap compatible GPS?

Tyson Sawyer tyson at j3.org
Mon Apr 26 14:39:41 EDT 2010

I have a Garmin Colorado.  Like many Garmins, it mounts as a USB mass
storage device and natively supports GPX files.  No special drivers
needed.  It even supports firmware updates by dropping the update
package in the right place in the filesystem and rebooting.  Again, no
special drivers, utilities or Windows required.

Cheers!
Ty

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Peter Dobratz <peter at dobratz.us> wrote:
> We were contemplating GPS units last year, but we never completed the
> research and didn't make a purchase.  That being said, it looks like
> the major players are Garmin and TomTom.
>
> Some TomTom units run Linux, see: http://opentom.org/
>
> However, Garmin may be more ubiquitous.  It looks like newer Garmins
> support USB Mass Storage.  So putting OpenStreetMap data files on them
> is simply a matter of copying the appropriate .img file.  See:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Mass_Storage_Mode
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download
>
> --Peter
>
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:51 AM,  <bruce.labitt at autoliv.com> wrote:
>> I've got an old un-upgradable GPS unit that I'd like to replace.  (At this
>> point the maps are old enough that I've been directed out in the weeds
>> quite a few times.  Umm, that is NOT the point of a GPS...)
>>
>> Towards that end, I'd like to get a new GPS that is OpenStreetMap
>> compatible.  My google-fu is pretty lacking - as many list members may
>> have noticed over the years.  The OpenStreetMap site(s) I've visited
>> haven't been too illuminating.  Does anyone have direct experience with
>> GPS units that work with OSM and are decent?  Oh, and the GPS unit is
>> recent enough that I could buy it new?
>>
>> TIA
>> Bruce

Tyson D Sawyer

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent
of many bad measures.   - Daniel Webster