Linux vs Windows, obscure security features (was: Quarantining an account...)

David Hardy belovedbold357 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 17:59:57 EDT 2010

Very interesting, and additional information that I was not aware of,
naturally.  For a short while, maybe nine years ago, I had an office with an
Alpha machine that was running OpenVMS 6.something, and then when my
"managers" found out that it could run NT, they made me change it to NT.  I
wish now that I'd told them it could also run Red Hat.  There was even a web
site back then concerning running NT on Alphas, with available downloads,
and, if memory serves, which it often does not these daze, a pseudo-'for
Dummies' book about VMS and NT interoperability;  I may still have it around
here somewhere.  (there is also another 'for Dummies' book on running VMS
together with Linux.)

Aha, the web site;  here it is: http://www.alphant.com/

I also remember having to install firmware to do the change, and it looks
like some of it may still be available at Microsoft.  I may even have some
floppies around here, too.

Ah, the glory daze...miniscule hard drives, nit-noy RAM...green
monitors...9-track reels...and midnight shift operators who looked like
they'd escaped from the bar scene in *Star Wars*...

<http://www.alphant.com/ant_faq.shtml>