Recommendations for/against Comcast Business as an email provider

Dan Coutu coutu at snowy-owl.com
Mon Aug 30 17:27:00 EDT 2010

 On 8/30/10 10:31 AM, Ted Roche wrote:
> Slightly off-topic, although I got my foot stuck in this door since I
> have installed and maintain a LAMP server and apps at this client site.
> So, there's a bit of Linux in there.
>
> I have a client running a small business with my LAMP server as his only
> non-desktop machine, and Comcast Business for internet provider. He's
> been using a patchwork of email services over the years (they use AOL
> and Yahoo! email addresses and a former web design firm provides their
> domain's POP server.) They are entitled to Comcast Business email as
> part of their internet package. I wondered if folks here had experience
> with setting up other clients with Comcast. In particular, my concerns
> are reliability (losing email during business hours means lost business)
> and whether they provide decent spam filtering.
>
> I've set up other clients with Google and/or Google Apps Premier
> ($50/year/user) accounts, and their IMAP servers provide nearly 100%
> uptime and excellent spam filtering.
>
> Providing email, spam filtering and network support is really beyond the
> scope of my services - mostly software development and application
> support -- so I'm hoping to find a service reliable enough to just
> configure once and leave running, with the occasional rare tweak. I
> don't see these folks having any need for an inhouse mail server if
> reliable services are available elsewhere.
>
> I'd welcome any recommendations and/or experiences.
I no longer bother with trying to setup email services for the clients
to whom I provide web hosting services. It is just too tedious and time
consuming to try to keep up with all of the latest and greatest steps
necessary to hold off the spammers. So I setup my clients with Google
Apps standard unless they specifically need the Google Apps Premier
level of service. It saves me a lot of headaches and makes the clients
happy too.

Dan