Recommendations for/against Comcast Business as an email provider

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Mon Aug 30 22:41:43 EDT 2010

  On 8/30/2010 10:31 AM, Ted Roche wrote:
> Slightly off-topic, although I got my foot stuck in this door since I
> have installed and maintain a LAMP server and apps at this client site.
> So, there's a bit of Linux in there.
>
> I have a client running a small business with my LAMP server as his only
> non-desktop machine, and Comcast Business for internet provider. He's
> been using a patchwork of email services over the years (they use AOL
> and Yahoo! email addresses and a former web design firm provides their
> domain's POP server.) They are entitled to Comcast Business email as
> part of their internet package. I wondered if folks here had experience
> with setting up other clients with Comcast. In particular, my concerns
> are reliability (losing email during business hours means lost business)
> and whether they provide decent spam filtering.
I've had excellent up-time with Comcast Business Internet. Their spam
filtering in their residential service has been adequate for those
clients who use it. I have not yet used their business email service,
however, I do plan to in the next few weeks. As Comcast provides an
eXchange server for business class there are some benefits to this
client, as they all use Outlook and want a shared calendar. And I just
don't have the time to implement an alternative for them. I'll let you
know the results of using Comcast Business email service after I have
some experience with it.

I have another client who converted to Comcast Business Internet today.
I plan to use Comcast's email server as a pre-filter for spam filtration
and as backup email server to feed their in-house Postfix/CourierImap
setup. I'll let you know how that works too.