Linux has won

Gerry Hull gerry at telosity.com
Wed Dec 15 15:57:27 EST 2010

In overall computing OS shipments, Linux has surpassed Microsoft a very long
time ago.
Microsoft embedded OS is a very, very small part of their business.  99% of
MS OS business is Desktop and Server OS shipments.   I believe they still
have a commanding lead in the desktop, but Linux is certainly gaining
ground.  I'm not sure on servers, but I bet that is a lot closer, with Linux
perhaps having a small lead.

Where Microsoft has really lost is in "mind share".

Though I've been professionally developing MS apps for 30 years, I'd say
less than 25% of my time is spent directly on MS now... typical projects
involve Linux app servers, IOS and Android mobile/tablet OS, and lots of
Linux-based middleware.

What Linux and open source has done is increase the speed of innovation so
that the big, monolithic corporations can't keep up.

Gerry