Inkjets, was: Android printer recommendations

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 12:13:29 EST 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Ted Roche <tedroche at tedroche.com> wrote:
>>    But ultimately, I hate ink jets for anything other than photo
>> printing.  It doesn't help that most ink jet printers on the market
>> are incredibly cheap crap.
>>
> Slightly less crappy are the business-class machines.

  I've heard that before, after too many bad experiences with them, I
don't believe it.  Maybe it was true in the past, maybe it's true for
selected models, but as a general rule, it's bunk.  "Do you feel
lucky, punk?"

  I suspect they would be okay under very occasional use, but then you
have trouble with ink drying and clogging the works, as has been
mentioned.  Maybe there's a sweet spot where you print just often
enough to keep the mechanism from fouling, but don't strain the
incredibly cheap build.  Like exactly one page a day or something.

  Full disclosure: My opinion is colored by having to attempt to fix
way too many crap printers in my career.

  I miss the HP LaserJet's of old.  Circa 2003, I had a customer who
had an HP LaserJet II still in service, humming away after more than a
decade.  It was slower than hell but met their needs, and you can't
kill the thing short of a wooden stake.  LaserJet 4's with more than a
million pages on their counter are (or were) common.  These days,
you're lucky to get 5% of that on most models.

  And get off my lawn!

-- Ben