Inkjets, was: Android printer recommendations

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sat Dec 18 07:39:12 EST 2010

On 12/17/2010 11:54 AM, Ted Roche wrote:
> Slightly less crappy are the business-class machines. I'm on my second
> HP OfficeJet. Initial cost is higher, but the machines seem to last a
> long time (first one lasted 5 years), and the costs of replacement
> (time, aggravation, hours lost) are more expensive to me, on deadline
> (when else would it fail?), than the initial payout. Combine that with
> XL "extended life" cartridges - half-full instead of quarter-full, I
> suspect - and the costs are still a little higher than lasers, but
> reasonable for low-volume use. Big-box office stores have discounts,
> rebates, trade-ins, and "ink club" programs to less the pain. The 8500
> Pro Premier a909n (there are many models of the 8500, with varied
> features, distinguished by added names, "Pro" "Premier" "Whizbang"
> "Wireless" et cetera) has duplex printing, second tray, networking
> (JetDirect), scanning, faxing, memory card reader and good Open Source
> HPLIP software support.

We have an HP Color LaserJet 4700DN at work that serves us well. It is
600DPI, and we generally have had no problems for the past 3 years.
Every once in a while, if we put in a full ream of paper, it won't load,
and we have to remove the drawer, readjust it, and put in maybe a half
ream, but the major tree killers who used to work in the office have
left. One of the things I miss with my HP 4500 at home is the lack of a
duplexer, but we don't print a lot of stuff, and it is easy to print odd
then even pages.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix