Caroline Meeks and Sugar on a Stick, Seacoast LUG, 8-Feb-2010

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 21:18:28 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Ted Roche <tedroche at tedroche.com> wrote:
> Sixteen people attended last night's very interesting
> meeting, which featured Caroline Meeks speaking on “Sugar on a Stick.”

  That you for the (yet another) excellent write-up, Ted.  :-)

  I was there too, and found it fascinating.  I think projects like
this have a real chance to bring Linux adoption "to the next level".
Linux has always succeeded by being a "grass roots" effort, not
through lobbying.  This would be another one of those.  There arte
people who need Linux but don't even know it.  Help them become aware
that it exists, help them get started, and they'll take care of
getting it adopted.  Plus, schools are where new carbon units go to be
indoctrinated -- getting them exposed to Linux early is a good thing!

  (As usual when it comes to my enthusiasm for "Linux", Linux is
NotJustLinux: http://wiki.gnhlug.org/twiki2/bin/view/Www/NotJustLinux)

  I had asked about resistance, on the usual counts.  The answers made
sense.  One thing that then occurred to me that I didn't mention (I
know, I know -- Ben *didn't* say something?  I must have been tired)
was that we shouldn't worry about resistance.  There are plenty of
people who actively want our help.  Don't waste effort on those who
don't.  Let the people who want our help convert their unwilling
peers.

  I should know this.  "We are Linux.  Resistance is an indication
that you have missed the point." (Attribution unclear)

  I'm hoping to find a chance (in my copious free time) to see if a
school board member friend of mine would be interested in Linux in her
district.

  "Don't be afraid to start something (just ask Linus)." -- from our website

-- Ben