Good USB+802.11/WiFi adapter?

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 15:40:26 EST 2010

Hello, world!

  Soliciting opinions on a good model of USB to 802.11b/g adapter to
buy.  Needs to work well with both Linux and recent Microsoft Windows
(XP/Vista/7).

  802.11b/g are also called "Wi-Fi" and "wireless Ethernet".
802.11a/n aren't needed but also don't count against.

  "Good" is defined as (1) decent drivers, (2) some evidence of
manufacturer support.  I'm okay if the mfg doesn't directly contribute
to the kernel.  I'm okay if the mfg doesn't seem too sure about how to
support Linux.  But I want the mfg to at least admit they made the
thing, be willing to try and help me, and at least be aware that Linux
exists (and thus won't change the chipset to something that Linux
doesn't support without changing the product packaging).  "Decent
drivers" for Linux means they exist in the mainline kernel, or at
least have GPL code for Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu, and SuSE; if they
need binary firmware, make it easy to obtain; don't cause tons of
kernel errors.    "Decent drivers" for Windows means they bluescreen
less than 50% of the time, and the software kit is not bloated (e.g.,
smaller than your average c. 1997 operating system).

  Does such a thing exist?

  If not, can someone at least recommend something that's worked well
for them on both platforms?

-- Ben