Openfire Jabber server

Kevin D. Clark kevin_d_clark at comcast.net
Fri Jan 8 10:53:33 EST 2010

Paul Lussier writes:

> Openfire docs don't seem to have a lot of information on performance
> tuning, does anyone here have any experience with tuning this thing for
> use in large environments with lots of users ?

I don't have too many helpful things to say here except:

1: It sounds like you're experiencing a memory leak in
   your Openfire server.

2a:  If [1] is true, then you're never going to be able
     to add enough memory to this system in order to make
     everything "just work" -- the leak will eventually
     consume all of your memory.

2b:  One possible option might be to simply restart the server
     every night.

3:  The only way to fix the memory leak is to fix the
    code or to configure the system to not execute the
    buggy code.  The thread that Ben Eisenbraun cites
    gives some some suggestions as to how to do either.

4:  If some particular client exacerbates this problem, this
    is interesting, but the root cause is still that the
    server is buggy.

5:  Fixing memory leaks in Java code can sometimes be very
    difficult.  As a programmer, it certainly is a relief
    when you find and fix these...

Regards,

--kevin
--
alumni.unh.edu!kdc                God, I loved that Pontiac.
http://kdc-blog.blogspot.com/         -- Tom Waits

GnuPG: D87F DAD6 0291 289C EB1E 781C 9BF8 A7D8 B280 F24E