twitter vs identi.ca

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Thu Jan 28 08:31:16 EST 2010

Arc Riley <arcriley at gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to encourage everyone to choose the free software microblogging
> service http://identi.ca/
>
> Twitter is proprietary, where Status.net (which identi.ca uses) is licensed
> under the AGPLv3.  Most of the free software community uses identi.ca instead
> of twitter, though you can link your accounts so posts to identi.ca repeat to
> twitter (and facebook, etc).

Interestingly, identi.ca also seems to have a sustainable model for
supporting their post-by-phone service, where (as fas as I can tell)
Twitter's `business model' continues to be `convince venture capitalists
to give us money to pay for this stuff in hopes that we'll be able
to monetise our userbase someday, somehow, once it's big enough'.

I guess this means that I have to figure out a different reason to
curmudge on microblogging as a whole, now.... Thanks a lot, Arc... ;)

--
"Don't Be Afraid To Ask (λf.((λx.xx) (λr.f(rr))))."