And we thought they were dead :-)

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Sun Jul 11 09:24:40 EDT 2010

>If I recall, this is probably related to the original AT&T vs. BSD back
>in the 90s, but this was settled out of court. If I remember correctly,
>Eric Raymond wrote a position paper asserting this back in 2003:
>http://catb.org/~esr/hackerlore/sco-vs-ibm.html

As I have written before:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gnhlug-discuss@mail.gnhlug.org/msg28058.html

the original SCO under Doug Michels had given code to "Linux" and had
taken code from "Linux".  Since this was done freely and without duress,
I think it would be hard to prove that Linux developers infringed SCO's
copyrights.

I found this interview with Doug from about 3 years ago....interesting
to watch for historical value:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2340931131449512735#

0-15:34 is about the founding of SCO and their dealings with AT&T and
Microsoft.  15:34 to 18:48 is about why he sold SCO to Caldera.

md