[OT] ENERGY STAR Low Carbon IT Campaign

Flaherty, Patrick pflaherty at wsi.com
Wed Jul 21 16:58:59 EDT 2010

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=power_mgt.pr_power_mgt_low_carbon

> A good place to start thinking about energy in your organization.  If
> we geeks don't, who will?

Oblig: gas powered alarm clock gets energy star approval.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/26/science/earth/26star.html

You can actually put a dollar figure on going "green". Each watt you
don't use in a server is a watt you aren't cooling. Applying cold ac air
to the front of most equipment (except cisco) and sequestering your hot
air is helpful. Most CRTs are a couple hundred bucks of electricity a
year to run non-stop. Pulling shades on bright sunny summer days can
reduce your air conditioning bill. Relaxing dress codes in the summer
can let you get away with a warmer office. I recall an article where
google sets their datacenters to 80 degrees.

50 dollar credits seem nice...