[GNHLUG] "Hey, Wiki, you're so fine..." CentraLUG, 7 June 2010, Hopkinton Public Library

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Mon Jun 7 16:52:05 EDT 2010

Ted Roche <tedroche at gmail.com> writes:
> On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen
> <rozzin at geekspace.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to make it to this meeting, but
> > would still like to contribute a pointer to Wikkid:
> >
> >    https://launchpad.net/wikkid
> >

> Cool! Have you used it? Anything really cool or really lame about it?

I haven't actually used it, yet.

I particularly like:

   * No locks.
   * Offline edits; fork-and-merge capability.
   * Easy to run locally.

If Wikkid makes it possible to use an actual text-editor to edit
page-texts, even better--then it'd basically resolve all of my gripes
with Wikis over the past decade.

> The idea of using a modern version control system as the data store is
> intriging. TWiki uses RCS

Indeed.

About a decade ago, back when I was using and administering CVS,
I tried to make use of TWiki's RCS-backed nature to integrate it
with CVS and Emacs vc-mode. That... sort-of worked..., but not really.

And, even if it *had* worked as well as CVS/RCS might have ultimately
allowed, it wouldn't have worked anywhere near as well as something
bzr-based could.

> while MediaWiki (and many, many others) use MySQL..

Yep. As far as I've seen, even where these MySQL-based projects have
been able to invent their own limited-scope revision-control wheels,
none of them appear to have even started thinking about solving any
of the other problems that Penhey and co. are going to have pre-solved
for them in Wikkid.