Broadcom WiFi -- for a public library -- in Fedora 13 maybe?

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Thu Jun 10 17:11:30 EDT 2010

On 6/10/2010 2:11 PM, Bill Sconce wrote:
>  I got an e-mail a couple of weeks ago, from a public library in a
>  small New Hampshire town, with the subject
>
>  HELP SAVE US FROM MICROSOFT!
>
>  (I am not making this up.)  Such a plea caused me to do some
>  perhaps-foolish things.  I called the library; I volunteered to help
>  them; I omitted to ask what hardware was involved.
>
>  Does anyone have experience, either with this laptop (Dell Dimension
>  E5500) or with getting a $#! Broadcom adapter to work (a 4318
>  apparently) -- or experience which justifies a decision to just not
>  do this?

I've had almost no trouble getting Broadcom to work with Ubuntu and
Mandriva distros. Just get the most current versions.

I haven't had as much luck with Fedora and Centos, though I didn't
really try to; just gave the folk network cards which did work and put
the Broadcoms in Windows laptops. (I had a surplus of laptops to
exchange components between, and an enormous time crunch to just get
things working.)