SCO loses, Novell wins finally

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sat Jun 12 07:37:32 EDT 2010

On 06/12/2010 01:44 AM, Jeffry Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
>
>> They certainly could, but there is virtually no management left. Judge
>> Cahn (the Chapter 11 trustee) is running the company, and the only ones
>> left are the staff. It would be cheaper for IBM to buy SCO stock at 4.5
>> cents per share (yesterdays close). <snip>
>>
> If IBM wanted to buy tSCOG, they would have done so a long time ago -
> they've almost certainly spent more on  this than tSCOG/Caldera was
> ever worth.  The tSCOG lawsuit implicated IBM would not keep their
> word with customers, specifically to keep customer secrets secret.
> Since IBM lives on its reputation, I don't believe they can accept
> that.  It's not about money, it's about ensuring anyone who falsely
> accuses IBM goes down in flames (thus preventing others from thinking
> they can get away from it).  IBM, I believe, wants a smoking Caldera
> in Utah.

I never really thought IBM would ever want to get anything from tSCOG.
There is some value with some IP at SCO, but I'm not sure anyone could
actually use it effectively. Any company that would buy SCO out of
Chapter 11 would effectively be beholden to Novell. I think they should
go Chapter 7 ASAP and have a fathers day sale :-)

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix